Bengali department is one of the oldest departments of Lady Brabourne college. At present there are seven teachers in the department, five of them having Ph. D degree .Honours in Bengali, Elective and Compulsory Bengali are taught. University of Calcutta has given permission to introduce Post Graduate Course from 2014. The history of the department reflects continuous academic progress through seven decades, many renowned teachers have served the department, a few of them are associated with teaching in the University. The result graph of Bengali department is very impressive. The students of this department always take part in the extracurricular, co-curricular activities and cultural programmes of the college with enthusiasm. This department has been taking the lead role in publishing the college magazine. Seminars are held regularly in the department. Many research articles of the teachers are published in referred journals. Some of the teacher's are associated with creative literary activities also. One teacher is guiding research work (Ph. D) under Calcutta University.
The Department of English was founded in 1939 when the college came into being. Eminent teacher scholars such as Prof. Shanta Mahalanobis, Prof. Karuna Chakraborty, Prof. Jasodhara Bagchi, Prof. Sajni Mukherjee, Prof. Dipti Majumder, Prof. Ramola Ghosh, Prof. Chitra Roy, Prof. Sona Majumder and Prof. Anjusree Sur have enriched the department by nurturing generations of students. Illustrious alumni include, besides several scholar teachers in many universities and colleges, figures such as Gayatri Chakravarty Spivak, internationally renowned academic, Prof. Malini Bhattacharya, Former Faculty, Jadavpur University and Former MLA, Prof Nabanita Deb Sen, internationally renowned writer and critic, Ketaki Kushari Dyson, scholar, writer, Basabi Fraser, poet, writer, choreographer, Sujata Sen, Director , British Council Library, Prof. Jharna Sanyal , Former Head of Department , Calcutta University, Rukmini Bhaya Nair, Professor, IIT Delhi and internationally renowned academic and poet, and Prof. Somdatta Mandal, Visva Bharati, Diaspora and Film Studies Scholar. The present managing director of the State Bank of India and the first woman to hold the post, Arundhati Bhattacharya, is an alumnus of this department.
The Department of English is the first among the Humanities and Social Sciences departments of the college to launch a Postgraduate Course in 2009. Students of the department continue to shine in diverse fields such as research, teaching, journalism and administration.
The dept. of Hindi was introduced in Lady Brabourne College long ago with the appointmentof a faculty on temporary basis in 1960 and in 1962 a permanent post of Lecturer in Hindi in the WBES was sanctioned.Hindi was introduced as a vernacular subject under UG course from the academic session1960-1961.Hindi as an elective subject at degree(pass) level was introduced from the academic session 2000-2001 Vide Govt.order No-162-Edn(CG)/4C-45/2k,Dt.7th Aug-2000.During the tenure of the then Principal Dr.Sanghamitra Mukherjee,Hindi Hons.Course was introduced Vide G.O C/738/29 Dt.26thMay2010,from the academic session 2009-2010.At present it is a full fleged Hons.dept.with 26 students,02 full time faculty and one parttime teacher.Every year more than 100 students take Hindi as MIL.The dept. has a well equiped Seminar library that cater towards the need of both syudents and teachers.The dept. hosts Seminars and Workshops at regular intervals for the enrichment of the students and the faculty.
The Department with both Pass and Honours courses was opened in 1941. The late Latika Roy was the first teachers and late Dr. Santa Sen was the first head of the department. After her, gradually Dr. Sibani Dasgupta, Sm.Gauri Dharmapal, Dr.santi Chakraborty , Dr. Trishna Chatterjee rendered their service as heads. At present department has two fulltime faculty members,viz.Dr.Sutapa Ray and Dr.Samapi Garai, two part-time teachers and one guest lecturer. The department has a remarkable collection of books of different facets of Sanskrit language and literature. The dept. has also an own seminar library, which is extensively used by the students. The dept. has recorded excellent results in the year of its existence. It has a distinguished record of four Eshan Scholars, many first classes and distinction holders. Twice the students of this dept. begged P.C.Chandra Gold Medal awarded by P.C.Chandra group to the best all-rounder students of the college. Many of the brilliant students are now rendering service in the different area of society.The students of the dept. traditionally play a great role in the extracurricular activities of the college. The cultural function of the reunion day and celebration of the foundation day of the college usually being with the Mangalacharana, which is performed by the students of the Sanskrit dept. The students also have staged Sanskrit Dramas like- Kumarasambhava, Mrcchakatika, Meghaduta etc. The dept. is proud to mention is that the Muslim girls are gradually showing interest to take up Sanskrit as their Hons. subject. The faculty members are happy to get the opportunity of imparting the lesson of Sanskrit to them as it is a good massage for society which may now contemplate of emergency of an open minded new generation free from any mental block and ready to exemplify the age old pithy 'manusat parataram na hi' means there is nothing greater then humanity. Students take active part in the entire seminar organized by department. In 2013 the dept. organized a seminar on ' A Comparative study of Aesthetics in Sanskrit, Hindi and Persian Literature' sponsored by UGC. Students are regularly involved in NSS program. with some social activities. In 2013 one student of this dept. was the winner for Best volunteer, awarded by University of Calcutta.
The Department of Urdu is one of the oldest Department in Lady Brabourne College. It has long social and cultural background. It was established in the year 1939. This department was started with great cause that is to spread education among Muslim girls. At that time Muslim girls were mostly confined to home. So this department started with all the facilities for those students to lighten their times.
The department was started with the great educationist and the poet Wahshat Kalkatwee. Later on the department was run by Ex- Head of the department Prof. Atiya Murshid and Prof. Bazegha Begum. After that Prof. Fazilat Parvez and Prof. Malka Mehar Nigar joined the department. This team of educationists served the department for long time and enriched and nourished it sincerely.
In the year 1996 Dr. Shaheen Sultana joined the department and took over the responsibilities of the Head of the department. In the year 1997, Dr. Nilufar Murtaza joined the department and little later Dr. Shabana Nasreen also joined the department. At present the department has three full-time faculties and two part-time faculties: Rashida Khatun and Zaheda Bano.
All the faculty members of the department try their best to bring out the inner potentialities of the students. As a result all round development of the students is satisfactory. The Honors result of the department is always 100 percent. They achieve ranks in the University.
Lady Brabourne College was founded in the year 1939 for the education of Muslim women. Since the inception of the college Arabic and Persian were included as optional subjects, but in 1941 Honours classes were started. Khan Bahadur Raza Ali Wahshat, renowned Urdu poet was the head of the department from 1941to 1947. After partition of India in 1947, the number of students dwindled subsequently. Arabic department was reopened in 1969, but due to lack of students and non availability of teachers Arabic is not taught at present. The number of students seeking Persian Honours has also been affected by the abolition of Third Language from the High School syllabus. However the number of students offering Persian as Optional Subject is on the rise .Almost all students pursuing Urdu Honours offer Persian as their optional subject. It is a matter of pleasure that many past students have been holding responsible positions in India and abroad, as college teachers and librarians.
Among the faculty members of the past Mrs Fatima Begum taught Persian in 1939.Prof. Mujibur Rahman, was the only male teacher in the college, because at that time qualified women teachers were not available in Persian. Nevertheless he single handedly taught Honours Course and prepared students for the finals for several years. Students made great progress and achieved ranks in the university under his guidance. When he was transferred to Maulana Azad College, Prof. Kulsum Jalil , Prof. Fatima Mahmood and Prof. Husna Bano steered the department . They rendered great service to the students with all sincerity and dedication. Several students made great academic achievements and won gold and silver medals from the university and college. It is a matter of pride that all present teachers are college Alumni.
In March 1938, when A.K. Fazlul Haque, the prime minister of Bengal announced in the Assembly that a Muslim Girls' college would be constructed, a new chapter in the history female education in Bengal was begun. Subsequently, on 26th august, 1939, the Bengal Governor, Sir John Woodhead laid the foundation stone of the college premise and in 1941 the construction of the college building was completed in the present address. Initially, there were nine disciplines and thirty-five Muslim girls on the rolls but by 1959, the roll strength of the college rose to seven hundred fifty. The foundation staff consisted of nine members only among whom the name of Mrs Bina Ghosh is found as the Professor of History. History was then taught at the B.A. Pass level along with other subjects. It was also taught at the Intermediate Arts level.
Among the distinguished teachers of this department the names of Professor Nihar kana Majumder, Dr. Bani Bhattacharyya, Smt. Aruna Paul, Dr. Subrata Sen, Dr. Arati Guha, Dr. Hena Mukherjee and Dr. Suhita Sinha Roy's name may be mentioned. They were the most erudite and dedicated teachers of this department who enlivened the past before the students in an unforgettable way.
The achievements of the students of this departments, both in academic and extra-curricular activities have been spectacular .The reputed scholars of History, Professor Ratnabali Chattopadhyay (C.U.), and Prof. Lakshmi Subramaniyam (CASS, Kolkata), Smt. Rituparna SenGupta, the actress- were all the students of this department. Numerous students of this department are teaching either at College or University levels and also are making their names in the professional world at various levels.
Teachers and students of this department are always engaged in active research work. Presently Dr. Aparna Bandyopadhyay has undertaken a Minor research project, under UGC on Media studies and Smt. Kakoli Sinha Ray is pursuing her doctoral research on Environmental studies. Students also bring out their project reports on a regular basis in different topics, like, the Heritage buildings of Colonial Calcutta or the Ancient seat of power in eastern India, etc.
The Department of philosophy is one of the first few departments with which Lady Brabourne College opened its doors to education. Dr. Roma Chaudhuri, a member of the foundation staff, was the only teacher with whom the department started functioning from 1939. At the time of its inception the college offered only the intermediate course and Logic (a branch of philosophy) was taught at the intermediate level. In the year 1941 B.A. courses were introduced and Philosophy as a subject was offered at the Pass level. In the following year Honours Course in Philosophy was started. It was under the able leadership, initiative and unrelenting efforts of an erudite scholar like Dr. Roma Chaudhuri, the Department of philosophy blossomed into a centre of excellence and played a key role in shaping the academic Career of many well-established women who have left an indelible mark not only in the sphere of academics but also in the field of administration and other professional fields. The seventy five year old department of the college has been serving six departments by offering philosophy at the pass/general level besides offering an Honours programme. It should be mentioned here that the University of Calcutta in order to cope with the huge task of conducting examinations of General subjects at the B.A./B.Sc. Part I level, has evolved a system of zonal Distribution centre for answer scripts of those general subjects which comprise an option for a very large section of students. The Department of philosophy has been chosen as one of the zonal Distribution Centres and for several years starting from 2004 the department has successfully completed the entrusted job.
The Department is actively attached to the Psychological Counseling cell of the college from 2010 and The women's study centre of the college from 2011.
The report so far presented will be incomplete if we do not acknowledge the services rendered by the academically brilliant, sincere and energetic teachers of the department. Besides Dr. Roma Chaudhuri, Late Amiya Chatterjee, Late Kiranbala Mukherjee, Late Kanak Prova Banerjee, Late Indira Datta, Late Uma Deb, Dr. Pushpa Misra, (who later on assumed the charge of the Principal of Bethune College), Smt Bandana Dutta, Dr. Tara Chatterjee (Part time teacher), Dr. Madhumati Ghosh (Part time teacher), Dr. Uma Chattopadhyay (Now an associate professor of Calcutta University), prof. Amalendu Chakraborty (Part time teacher and Retd. Teacher of Presidency College) Smt. Mamata Dhar and Smt. Sudeshna Dattagupta Served the department.
Department of Political Science, at Lady Brabourne College was established in 1960. The Department advanced with time, and the present syllabus covers Political theory, Comparative Politics and Government, Government and Politics in India International Relations, and allied papers such as Western Political Thought, Indian Political Thought and Movement Political Sociology and Public Administration. The department is associated with interdisciplinary courses like Public Relations and Advertising, Multimedia and Animation (UGC sponsored career-oriented courses) and Women Studies Pass. The Department also organizes state and national and international level seminars, conferences in collaboration with other academic organizations. The department has a well equipped Seminar library which contains reference books regularly required for students. The Seminar Library includes books and reading material both in English and Bengali for the benefit of students writing the examinations in either English or Bengali medium. Further, the faculty members of the Department of political science have enriched themselves with national and international research activities.
The department of Sociology started in 1988. This was the first department among government colleges under University of Calcutta to offer this subject in the State. In 1988 only pass course was offered in this subject. In 1989 teaching at Higher Secondary level was started. In 1994 Honors level teaching was started. The department started with 2 sanctioned posts and later the number of sanctioned posts increased to 4. At present there are four full time permanent faculty members. All the teachers are engaged in research work to enrich themselves.
Initially the number of seats was 20. At present the number of seats has increased to 50.The selection procedure is completely on the basis of Merit based on the marks secured in Class 12 board examination. . Two classrooms and one practical room are allotted for the department. Two Seminar libraries with a large collection of books for the students and also for the teachers are an asset to the department.. Four computers with internet facilities are available for the students.
The Students have performed exceptionally well since 2014 – 2017. The students of the Department of Sociology have effectively retained a high rank order in their academic performance for four years consecutively from 2014 to 2017 - Zaufashan Tanwir (2014), Mehrush Akhtar(2015), Sudhriti Kundu(2016), Arhita Biswas(2017). Second and third positions were also secured by the students of the department. The students were:Puja Das, 2nd in 2015, Susmita Mishra, 2nd and Chaitrika Das, 3rd in 2016;, Aatreye Sen, 2nd and Sudeshna Bhattacharya, 3rd in 2017.
The students also excel in other cultural and social work activities. The students considerably participate NSS activities throughout the year.
Physics was introduced in the curriculum of the College in 1941, two years after the College was founded. It started with the Intermediate course, with only two faculty members and ten students. It took the shape of a separate department in the next year, under the able guidance of Prof. Chameli Basu. In this connection it is noteworthy to mention that, she was the first woman to graduate with Honours in Physics from the University of Calcutta and also the first Indian woman to secure a Post Graduate Degree in Physics. The two year B.Sc. Degree course commenced in the College from 1958 while the three year. B.Sc. Honours course was introduced from 1963 under the leadership of Prof. Shovana Mukherjee. The baton was then handed over to Prof. Jayanti Mahalanabis, Prof. Nilima Mishra, Dr. Evelyn Guha, Dr. Arundhuti Ghosh, Dr. Sunanda Guha, Dr. Arunima Mookerjea, Prof. Manimala Das, Smt. Bhabani Nag, Dr. Gouri Sanyal, Dr. Jonaki Choudhuri, and Dr. Haimanti Chakrabarti (chronologically).
The Department had shifted to the New Science Building in the year 1965. Since then the Department has flourished with modern classrooms, well equipped laboratories and an enriched Seminar Library through the all-round efforts of its non-teaching and teaching members. Over the decades the Department has not only grown in size but has also earned a reputation as an abode of quality learning/training which attracts meritorious girl students from all parts of the country and all cross-sections of the society. Post Graduate Course in Physics was introduced in the college in 2007, initially through a initiative of the 'Department of Higher Education' of the State Government, followed up by a tremendous co-ordinated effort from all the staff of the Physics department under the guidance of the then principal of the college, Dr. Sanghamitra Mukherjee. Thus Lady Brabourne College, became the second Govt. College in West Bengal after Presidency College to conduct a M.Sc. course in Physics. The Post Graduate laboratories are being upgraded and modernised gradually through sustained efforts of the faculty members.
Apart from teaching, most of the teachers are engaged in active research work. Various Personal, Joint and Collaborative Research projects have been undertaken by them using the grants from CSIR, UGC, BRNS, DST and others. This has been reflected in the number of publications in National & International Journals. In its effort to further its horizon the department has signed an MOU with Biotech Consortium, S.N.Bose National Centre and Tejpur University in 2013.
The Department of Chemistry at Lady Brabourne College was established in 1941 under the leadership of the world renowned organic chemist Professor Asima Chatterjee. Other well-known educationists and researchers like Professor K. K. Rohatgi Mukherjee and Professor Bithika Bose were also intimately involved in nurturing the department which under them emerged in its present form as one of the largest science departments of the College.
The department has been meticulous in maintaining the high standards in terms of teaching and student performance throughout. Even now, it is the only Science department of the College where all faculty members are Ph.D. degree holders and most of them are Associate Professors. The results of the students have also been highly commendable and there has been an increasing trend in the percentage of students acquiring first class in their B.Sc. final year examination over the last five years. The percentage has shot up to almost double from 2007 when 39% of the students secured a first class degree while in 2011, the figure stood at 78%. This was followed by a commendable performance in 2012 when 87% of the students secured a first class which was closely followed by 2013 when the figure stood at 84%.
Teaching of Chemistry is undoubtedly incomplete without practical classes, and the Chemistry department is proud to maintain well equipped laboratories. To address the needs of each specialization, the 2nd floor of the College houses one laboratory for Physical Chemistry and then another lab for Inorganic Chemistry. The third equally well equipped laboratory for Organic Chemistry is located on the ground floor itself. The general students use the laboratory for Inorganic Chemistry and the annexe region next to it (also converted to a full-fledged laboratory) for their practical classes.
Other infrastructural facilities like Computers with Internet connectivity, a dedicated Balance-Room for analytical work, teaching with the aid of projectors to provide audio-visual inputs, etc. have long been in practice with the Chemistry Department at this College. These modern teaching methods coupled with regular assessment of students have helped improve not only the overall performance score of chemistry students but also embedded in them a strong foundation of the basic concepts of chemistry. This is what empowers them to pursue higher studies directly or indirectly related to Chemistry.
The Department of Chemistry has, over the years, upgraded its infrastructure slowly and steadily so that it may be in a position to commence post-graduate teaching in the near future. The other Science departments such as Physics, Microbiology and Mathematics have already started with PG programmes at this College and Chemistry Department certainly finds itself eager to join them. Being the largest of the Science departments, and being equipped with resources in terms of requisite manpower and facilities, the young group of qualified, committed and dedicated faculty of the Chemistry Department are quite enthusiastic and supportive about starting Post Graduate teaching. Infrastructural facilities and manpower resources, both in terms of departmental faculty and non-teaching members, need to be upgraded in order to launch a full-fledged Post Graduate course within the campus, exclusively for women Chemistry (Honours) graduates. The Department believes that such an advance course should certainly be started, given the availability of infrastructural facilities and additional faculty members.
In 1950 -'51, Lady Brabourne College received affiliation from Calcutta University to introduce Botany and Biology as a subject in I.Sc. classes. Dr. Nirod Sen (HOD), Dr. Madhuri Roy (Lecturer), Mrs. Nilima Sinha nee Roy (Demonstrator) and two non-teaching staff members constituted the department. Since then the Department of Botany has been one of the constituent department of this elite College. The department of Botany, since initiation, had an excellent garden, green house and an exquisite fountain, which provided an ideal niche for the growth of Hydrophytes. The department used to celebrate 'Vanamahotsab' (tree planting festival) every year, inviting eminent scientists to grace the occasion. To name a few, Prof. S. R. Bose, Prof. S.M. Sirkar, Prof. A.K. Sharma and many others participated in the festival.
To study the plants in its natural habitat, excursions were carried out by the department. For identification of plants and determination of their taxonomical status, a visit to Botanical Garden, Sibpur, Howrah was an annual event.
Dr. Nirod Sen, after few months of initiation of the department was transferred to Presidency College and was replaced by Dr. Santi Batra, who took over charge of the department. In addition to her regular duties she carried out research activity and had one scholar working under her. In 1958, Dr. Shanti Batra went abroad and Dr. Madhuri Roy took over the charge of the department.
In 1960-61, Pre-University courses for science students was introduced by Calcutta University and continued till 1964–65.
In 1960–61, Calcutta University also offered affiliation to start Botany, Hons. and Pass classes for under graduate courses. The Botany honours class started with 3 students.
In 1963, Dr. Dipti Mukherjee took over the charge of the department. By this period, the department had well equipped spacious laboratories, class rooms museums, and a wonderful herbarium.
At present the department enrolls 32 students per year. The department boasts of high percentage of scholastic performance by its students almost every year, students rank among themselves in the first twelve students of the University. Maximum number of students after completing their undergraduate courses enroll themselves in postgraduate studies in different Universities. The students however, always maintain their high scholastic achievements and quite a number of them have secured eminent posts and high position in India and abroad.
Now the department of Botany has well equipped laboratories, lecture theatres with sophisticated teaching aid, plant tissue culture laboratory, Herbarium, Museum, computer laboratory with internet facility.
Department of Microbiology was established in the year 2002 with the undergraduate Hons Course. Prof. Gopa Dutta Bhowmik, the then Principal of Lady Brabourne College advised Dr. Aditi Nag Chaudhuri, Reader in Chemistry, specialization in Biochemistry to take the responsibility of the new department. The space on the second floor of the main building left by the department of Zoology as they shifted to the New Science Building was allotted for the Department of Microbiology. The inspection team of the University suggested to start with 15 students. The Routine Committee allotted Room No. 26 for the Microbiology. The space left by Zoology was used as Staff Room and Instruments Room, Balance Room and Store Room, Seminar Library Room, and only one Laboratory. Dr. Nag Chaudhuri had a Research Laboratory on the ground floor. That was also used for the new batch of students.
On 2nd September, 2002, 15 students got admission for Microbiology Hons. and Prof. Dutta Bhowmik ceremonially opened the door for the students. Four WBES and one WBSES posts were converted by the order of Prof. Pijush Ganguly, the Director of Public Instruction, Govt. of West Bengal.
On 27th 1nd 28th November the Inaugural programme of the department was held under the sponsorship of UGC on 'Impact of Research on Microbial World on the Economy of the Developing Countries'. Prof. Satyasadhan Chakraborty, the then Minister in Charge, Higher Education, inaugurated the department. Prof. P.Ganguly, DPI and a number of distinguished scientists delivered valuable lectures which were published later by the department.
By this time three part time teachers and one laboratory attendant were recruited for the first year students.
In 2005 out of 12 students 9 students secured first class and one secured the seventh position of university rank.
In 2005 Prof. Mamata Roy, the then Principal of Lady Brabourne College, took initiative to open the Postgraduate Course in Microbiology in Lady Brabourne College, though till then no other full time lecturers were appointed.
University inspection team again advised to start with 15 students. Departmrnt of Higher Education assured that a number of Guest lecturer could be appointed according to the requirement for the postgraduate classes. The Postgraduate departments have academic autonomy.
In 2005 5th September 15 students took admission to PG Course and Prof. Dhubajyoti Chattopadhyay, Pro Vice Chancellor ( Academics ), University of Calcutta was invited to deliver the inaugural speech.
By this time the department got a special grant from Government.
In the January of 2006 Dr. Soumi Guha Polley ( specialization in Biochemistry) joined as full time lecturer and in the NAAC visit of 2006 February the Department of Microbiology was mentioned as one of the best Science Departments.
In 2006, 11 out of 11 students passed in first class and 7 students occupied the university rank positions including the 2nd position . In 2006 November three other full time lecturers were appointed- Dr. Mahuya Mukhopadhyay( Botany specialization in Microbiology ), Ms. Madhulika Gupta (Botany specialization in Microbiology) and Ms. Sudipta Paul ( Microbiology ).
In 2007, 13 out of 14 students passed in first class and 6 positions of university rank were occupied .All the postgraduate students passed in first class.
The department started organizing workshop week for first, second and third year students of Microbiology and Biochemistry simultaneously from all the colleges in Kolkata during Puja vacation, 2007 . That workshop week was also held in 2008 and in 2009.
In 2008 all the students secured first class and two ranks. One UGC sponsored 3 day seminar was organized in this year on 'Changing Facets of Microbiology in 21st Century' The august presence of a number of reputed Professors and Scientists inspired our students. The lectures were again published in form of a book.
In 2009 again 11 out of 11 students secured first class and 5 ranks including first and second.
UGC also sanctioned a grant for the PG departments.
In 2010 the Department has organized a Workshop on Handling of Protein and Nucleic acids for 5days for Research Scholars from outside. The college was selected for DST FIST grant in 2010 and that helped a lot for purchasing equipments and books. The department celebrated International Year of Biodiversity by organizing an international seminar and poster presentations on 'BANANA & BAMBOO: DIVERSITY MANAGEMENT OF AT RISK COMMERCIALLY VALUABLE CROPS THROUGH COMMUNITY - TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION'
Out of 12 students 10 secured first class and 5ranks including 2nd and third in 2010.
The college was also selected as 'Centre with potential for Excellence(CPE)' in the year 2010and that also helped in purchasing ICT tools and modernization of classrooms.
The department proposed a Post Graduate Diploma Course in 'Food & DrugSafety'and that was sanctioned, For that the equipments, books and even the resource persons' remuneration were also sanctioned. One interdisciplinary research project on East Kolkata Wetland, a Ramsar site, was also proposed and sanctioned for two years. That also supported the research facilities in the department. The other partners were Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Geography and Statistics.
In 2011 the first batch of students for Post Graduate Diploma in Food & Drug Safety got admission. Only 10 seats are there. All of them have passed in first class.
In 2011 out of 7 UG students 6 got first class marks and occupied 1st, 3rd and 4th positions.
Department has organized one awareness programme on 'Assessment of knowledge, Attitude, Belief and Practice of the Women in Kolkata, towards Cervical Cancer and its Risk Factors'.
In 2012 Department organized a three day Workshop for PG second year students and Faculty members on 'Detection of Breast Cancer Cells and Pathogens using Gold nano particles' and the Resource person was Prof. Subhash C. Basu of Notre Dame University, USA. The result of this years' university examination was remarkably good - 25 out of 25 students secured first class and nine students occupied university ranks including 2nd and 3rd positions.
College has been selected as DBT Star college and Microbiology is one of the five departments enjoying the grants for departmental workshop, workshop for physical science students, faculty improvement programme, seminar and industry visit.
Now the department is run by 20 teachers including full time, part time and guest lecturers and visiting professors. UG seats have been raised to 37, PG and PGD seats remain 15 and 10 respectively.
Department organizes monthly lectures by eminent scientists and professors. Quiz contest, Model making competition, lecture competition staging drama on reputed scientists and their discoveries are regular features of the department. The students participate in different contest outside the college and used to win prizes. Students from department of Microbiology participate and win prizes in annual sports and other interdepartmental competitions. A large number of students have qualified NET GATE and GRE.
There are more than 400 books in seminar library, 24 hrs internet connected 10 computers and 4 journals for advance research. All equipments for basic and advance research are there in the instrument room. 8 Research scholars doing their PhD thesis in the departmental research centre. Already 4 students have been awarded PhD Degree under the guidance of Dr. Aditi Nag Chaudhuri. Dr. Nag Chaudhuri has been awarded with INSA Teachers' Award , 2013. All the M.Sc and PGD students are to do their summer projects in the department. A number of Minor and Major projects are run by the faculty members. Faculty members and post graduate students present their research observations in national and international seminars.
100% students go for higher studies and research institutes or Institues for higher education all over India like IISc, NCBS, TIFR, NBRC, JNCASR, IISER, JNU, BHU, IITs, IICB, IACS, SINP, Bose Institute can boast of at least one Brabournite from Department of Microbiology.
The Department of Zoology of Lady Brabourne College has had a short but a glorious history.
In 1950-51, Lady Brabourne College received affiliation from University of Calcutta to introduce Biology as subject in I.Sc. Class. Since then the name of the Department of Zoology as part of Biology department has figured in the list of science departments of this elite college. The department started flourishing from 1960-61 when the college received affiliation to teach Zoology in the B.Sc. Class with a batch of only 15 students. From 1974 this department has started teaching Zoology as an Honours subject. Initially only 15 students were admitted in this course. Today the number of seats has increased to 41. This course offers an opportunity for a comprehensive study of animal biodiversity, animal behavior, taxonomy, ecology, physiology, biochemistry, genetics, cell & molecular biology, microbiology, developmental biology, environmental management, etc. through class-room lectures, practicals, interactive sessions, seminars, workshops and field studies. Lectures through power point presentation and demonstrations are some of the methods adopted by the faculty to make the teaching - learning process more interesting and purposeful. The Department enjoys top reputation in the College and also in the University with very dedicated Faculty members who are highly qualified in their respective fields of specialization. Every year we draw quality students from almost all over the country. Our students have made us proud over the years by their consistent excellent results and invariably occupying the top slots in the university results. The Department also started with the M.Sc. course in 2016 affiliated to Calcutta university with 15 seats. The Course offers for specialization in Ecology and Endocrinology.
The department has three well equipped laboratories and an Instrument Room with instruments like UV spectrophotometer, Colorimeter, Microscopes, refrigerated centrifuge, centrifuges, autoclave, BOD incubator, oven, bomb colorimeter, electrophoresis kits, UV transilluminator, -20°C refrigerator, pH meter, digital balance, etc. and the necessary infrastructure to meet the academic demands of the students. The department also has a well stocked museum with innumerable animal specimens, slides, illustrative charts, etc. The Department boasts of a very well-stocked library and net-enabled computer for students' use.
The Department provides a conducive atmosphere for all round development and the overall personality development of the students and prepares them to excel in academics and extra-curricular activities as well as molding them into goods citizens. To make the students aware of ecological and environment issues, the department organizes a zoological excursion every year and regular field trips in which students are accompanied by teaching and non teaching staff. The faculty members also actively take part in various seminars, symposia, etc. to keep themselves afresh with newer trends in Biology. The department also regularly organize seminars and workshops and arrange lectures by eminent scholars to increase the creative skills of the students. Our alumni are presently well placed in the different walks of the life in India and abroad.
The Department is also committed to quality based advanced research with stress on fundamental research in its pursuit of advancement of knowledge in Science and technology. The department has its faculty highly qualified and experienced scientists devoted to original and path breaking research. The Faculty members have completed several Minor and Major research Projects funded by UGC under Dr. SanjuktaMondal (Parui), Dr. AnuradhaChaudhuri, Dr. PaulamiMaiti and Dr. AntaraKar. Two Project Fellows are working for their Ph.D. in the said projects. Two students have already been awarded their Ph.D.s under the guidance of Dr. Sanjukta Mondal (Parui) with a third student already registered for Ph.D. under her.
Mathematics department, one of the founder departments of the College was established in 1939 for Intermediate students under the guidance of Sm.Snigdhaprova Mitra. Later with the introduction of undergraduate courses in the College, Mathematics was offered to the students at Pass course level.
The department then started teaching Honours Course from 1960 under the able guidance of Sm. Protibha Deb. Since then most of the students studying Mathematics Honours have completed this course with flying colours, some meritorious ones securing University rank, even one student of this department got highest marks among all students completing Bachelor course in all streams of science, arts and commerce of University of Calcutta in a recent year.
Finally the department started teaching its Post Graduate Course from 2006 with academic autonomy under University of Calcutta, with constant encouragement and support from then Principal Dr. Sanghamitra Mukherjee, previously a faculty of this department. The syllabus of this course was specially designed and a very modern field of study 'Soft Computing' was introduced as a special paper. Well known and reputed teachers have delivered lectures and taught for the PG course.
So it may be concluded that since its inception, the department has never looked back- but progressed steadily to be what it is today!
Economics as a subject was introduced in the college in 1939, the year in which the college was founded. To begin with, the programme offered was Economics and Political Science. In 1960, the programme was bifurcated and separate departments for Political Science and Economics were opened.
The department has maximum student strength among all science subjects of the college. Since inception, the department is maintaining and improving the academic standard as revealed in the performance of the students in the University Examinations. After pursuing Masters' and higher academic degrees from renowned institutes and universities all over India and abroad, they get high quality jobs either in academics or in corporates. During the three year undergraduate course, the teachers take recourse to innovative methods of teaching and encourage the students to participate in paper presentation (both intra and inter- college), group discussion, seminars and workshops, Projects, field tours, excursions etc to acquire knowledge from real life experience.
The faculty members are actively engaged in research work sponsored by UGC and they regularly publish in reputed journals. The department maintains a library on its own with a collection of about 600 books.
Departmental seminars, workshops and lectures are held regularly to enrich the students. This year (2014) on 22nd and 23rd February the department organized ICSSR and WBSCHE sponsored national level annual conference of Bangiya Arthaniti Parishad.
Department of Geography in Lady Brabourne College enjoys a heritage status in terms of its academic and research activities. Since its inception the department has produced talented students who held First positions as well as ranks in Calcutta University for several decades. The department flourished under able guidance of late Professor Binapani Mukherjee and later Professor Maya Dutta. From 2003 the department started post-graduate course and has earned the reputation of being the first Post-Graduate department in the college. Dr. Anjana Ghose the then Head of the Department smoothly guided the department under several odds through a period of transition. Prof Jayasree Roy Chowdhury, Present Director of Public Instructions was the student of the department and was the teaching faculty and Head of the department of Geography. At present the department runs an autonomous and independent credit based semester system in the two years' Post Graduate course. A few of the under-graduate students have completed their Master's programme from the department.
Three Permanent teaching faculties, all are Associate Professor (WBES) and one Ex -Professor of the department are entitled to supervise Ph D students, registered under the university of Calcutta. 33 Research Scholars are doing their research work under the supervision and guidance of these faculty members of the department. All the Teaching faculties of the department are engaged with the research work along with their academic work. Four UGC Sponsored Minor Research Projects (MRP) have been submitted in August 2017. Five teaching faculty members out of seven are PhD degree holder in the department. One teaching faculty has submitted her thesis for PhD degree in 2017. The department continues to flourish with student strength of one hundred and fifty-four and thirty two research scholars.
Advanced Research Centre in Human Geography: Post Graduate department of Geography has an Advanced Research Centre (ARC), title of which is - Advanced Research Centre in Human Geography. The ARC has been affiliated by the University of Calcutta in 2014. The ARC has organized a lot of Seminars and workshops in the P.G. Department. The organizing committee of the ARC has started to develop academic collaboration with other Research Organizations and Universities. All the Registered Research Scholars are the part of the ARC of the department of Geography.
Welcome to the Department of Statistics at Lady Brabourne College. The department was established in the year 2000, starting with B.Sc. (General) course in Statistics. The B.Sc (Honours) course in Statistics has been introduced from 2005.
The objective of the Department is to impart quality education to those seeking admission in this college to the B.Sc. Honours course in Statistics under the graduate level curriculum of University of Calcutta.
There are currently three full time faculties in the department. The department is equipped by a computer lab, departmental library and class rooms with ICT facility. The continuous flow of meritorious and hard working students has helped this department to grow as preeminent center of teaching Statistics.
The department also aspires students to pursue higher studies as well as encourage them to practice Statistics in different organisations, both Government and non Government, as analysts (Statisticians). Being the part of a premier women's college, the department is playing a very important role in empowering our next generation female youth.
The Department of Computer Science was established in the year 2007. It started off with a General Course in Computer Science which is continuing till date. It is at present running with two part time lecturers. The Department has a well equipped Computer laboratory and is well connected through LAN and WAN.
The college library with a collection of approximately 100,000 books besides magazines and journals, located on the first floor of the main building, is equipped with reading room facility for students and teachers. Students are issued two borrower’s cards each at the time of admission. Library rules are clearly stated in the college prospectus. Old students of the college doing postgraduate courses elsewhere are allowed to use the library only for reference purposes with special permission from the Principal. Apart from the general library each department has a seminar library collection, which the students can access at the discretion of the departmental faculty.
The general library has recently undergone total computerization and has received a grant from the National Archives, Govt. of India for retro conversion, binding and preservation, of rare books, cataloguing etc. The State Government also released funds for the modernization of the College Library. Students can now access searching and browsing options and can also use the internet in the library.
A new College building has been approved and is expected to provide space for the growing demands of the PG sections along with a library complex.